Below you will find the latest information and guidance regarding testing and tracing, and local outbreak management.
We are working as fast as we can to update this page with useful information for you. Please follow @LGAwellbeing for the latest updates and keep checking back. Our Knowledge Hub includes resources, latest government guidance, case studies and all the current information. Please also see our FAQs for more detailed updates and our latest media lines related to coronavirus.
- Local outbreak management
Restrictions by tiers (updated 31 December 2020)
Christmas advice (updated 19 December 2020)
Contain Outbreak Management Fund payments to councils (November 2020)
Other resources and information
Principles for the design of COVID-19 Local Outbreak Plans from the Association of Directors of Public Health, Faculty of Public Health, LGA, PHE, Society of Local Authority Chief Executives, and the UK Chief Environmental Health Officers group. (new)
ADPH explainer – local outbreak plans (pdf, July 2020)
ADPH explainer - data (pdf, July 2020)
- Testing and tracing
Information for local leaders
LGA Briefing on Lateral Flow Testing (27 November 2020)
Local authorities receiving lateral flow tests (November 2020)
Clinical evaluation of Lateral Flow Tests (November 2020)
Parliamentary report on lessons from COVID−19 on public services and LGA response (November 2020)
Maintaining records of staff, customers and visitors to support NHS Test and Trace (updated November 2020)
COVID-19: local contact tracing case studies (November 2020)
Briefing for Opposition Day Debate on local contact tracing (October 2020)
Information for the public
Guidance on Test and Trace in the workplace for employers, businesses and workers on employers’ legal duties around staff who are self-isolating (October 2020)
Community champions scheme (October 2020)
Coronavirus: getting tested guidance: on coronavirus testing, including who is eligible for a test and how to get tested.
DHSC guidance for the public on the different types of coronavirus testing available, including which types of test they should use and when, and what they should do when they receive a test result (July 2020).
- Care home testing
GOV.UK – letter regarding further information on testing in care homes (pdf, 7 May 2020)
GOV.UK – whole home testing for care home staff and residents (pdf, May 2020)
- Testing in schools
Please visit the COVID-19: children’s services, education and schools page for Information and guidance related to children and young people including testing in schools.
- Local data
All chief executives and directors of public health received a letter, and its attachment, which capture the data sources on COVID-19 that are currently publicly available on the Test and Trace service, outbreaks and broader surveillance related to COVID-19; summarised as follows:
- National figures for COVID-19 tests, cases, deaths for the UK and every country of the UK are produced daily
- National figures for the NHS Test and Trace service are produced weekly
- The Weekly Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID -19) Surveillance Report summarises information from a variety of surveillance systems covering national data including on cases, age, gender, rates and ethnicity. There is also regional data and weekly rates of cases by local authority including a PHE top 10 of councils with public health responsibility with the highest weekly rate of cases
- The Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the UK dashboard contains information, at all council levels, on cases and rates and is updated daily
- From 10 July, weekly case numbers at middle layer super output area are available on a map and in a spreadsheet (in the “about data” section)
- On Friday 3 July, NHS-Digital released a public version of the Containment dashboard, Progression, that enables triages and cases to be tracked through time.
COVID-19 cases data from LG Inform
Local authority report showing the number and rates of COVID-19 hospital cases by authority, compared to others
England overview report showing the number of COVID-19 cases and deaths across England as a whole, and the top ten councils for number and rate of cases
Weekly deaths report providing a summary of Office for National Statistics (ONS) weekly deaths data
Care homes report focusing on deaths in care homes in particular
Vulnerable groups report providing estimates of local authority populations likely to be vulnerable to COVID-19
Area characteristics report comparing case rates across all local authorities to other factors at a local area level, such as deprivation.
- National data
For information on vaccinations, visit our COVID-19: vaccinations page.
- Support for councils
Our testing, contact tracing and outbreak management Knowledge Hub for councils includes resources, latest government guidance, case studies and all the current information. You need to be a member of the closed group to use it.
Further information is available in our FAQs.
Support for DPHs
- Bespoke peer support for Directors of Public Health and public health teams joint with ADPH
- Directors of public health from across the country talk about the local response to COVID-19
Support for local leaders
Find out more about our developing support offer for local leaders. This currently includes:
- LGA – Support for local leadership - peer offer on testing, contract tracing and outbreak management (pdf, July 2020) including a checklist on planning for a local outbreak.
- HWB Chairs touch base debrief and Health and Wellbeing Board Reset Tool looking at next stage of the COVID-19 response, including our offer around free bespoke virtual peer support to Boards
Food Processing - Experiences, Lessons Learned, and the Role of the HSE in outbreak management, 22 July
Contain Framework, 20 July
Test and Trace 10 July
Many other LGA events have a Covid-19 focus; more information is available on our events webpages.
- Vulnerable people
Please visit the vulnerable people and volunteering page for a range of resources.
- Health inequalities
Please visit the public health page for a range of resources on health inequalities.
COVID-19 peer support for directors of public health: testing, contact tracing and outbreak management
A bespoke LGA/ADPH support offer to directors of public health and their teams for testing, contact tracing and outbreak management.
COVID-19: public health
Information and guidance related to public health services, including mental health and isolation.