Twelve months contracts starting 1 June 2019.
12 months contracts starting 1 June 2019 in the following regions*
- East of England Region (30 days)
- South East England Region (40 days)
- North West England Region (50 days)
- South West (55 days)
- North East (30 days)
- London (40 days)
- East Midlands (30 days)
- Yorkshire and Humber (30 days)
- West Midlands (55 days)
The number of days allocated for each region is determined by the number of local authorities in that region and the expected levels of support they will need.
In this challenging high-profile work, you will be instrumental to the improvement of children’s services within councils. Working with the LGA’s Principal Adviser you will engage with councils that have been identified for sector-led support. You will develop strong relationships with Lead Members, Chief Executives and Directors of Children’s Services. Building a clear understanding of their needs, you will identify innovative solutions, broker improvement strategies, and ensure they are delivered. This is a role with huge scope and a broad remit - from commissioning additional capacity and expertise, through to facilitating staff development and change management programmes. Working with regional networks, you will ensure best practice, policies and partnerships are shared. (Role Description attached)
You will bring to the role proven senior level experience in complex political and strategic environments within children’s services and you will have recent experience as either a DCS or a DfE Advisor. Together with an in-depth understanding of central and local government, you will have a track record of creating strategies, interventions and innovative solutions to complex issues. An inspirational, motivational and influential leader with deep integrity and professional credibility, you will demonstrate a flair for negotiation and forging partnerships.
How to tender for this work
If you are interested in this work, please submit a CV together with a short statement setting out your suitability and your preference for which region.
Closing date: 5pm, 12 April 2019
Please forward your CV and supporting statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like an informal discussion about these opportunities please contact:
Richard Cooke, National Programme Manager (Children’s Services) – 07766 356320
Role Description: Children’s Improvement Adviser
Reports to: Regional Principal Adviser, Local Government Support
In these challenging high-profile roles, you will be instrumental to the improvement of children’s services within councils:
- To support the Principal Adviser within the nine Regions and work with all member councils to provide sector-led support. You will develop strong relationships to build a clear understanding of need in children’s services, to support leadership, identify innovative solutions, broker improvement strategies, and ensure they are delivered. Building a direct relationship with the regional improvement alliances in terms of strategic planning, intervention and resources.
- To provide complementary support and assistance, where required, to existing regional sector led improvement programmes for children’s services and contribute to the development of the Local Government Association’s (LGA) peer support service and support improvement in local authorities.
- To support and develop leadership and best practice in councils and support councils at risk, acting as a broker between the Local Government Association (LGA) and local authorities.
- To commission additional capacity and expertise, facilitating staff development and change management programmes. Working with regional networks, you will ensure sector led improvement is developed and best practice, policies and partnerships are shared.
- Develop networks and partnerships that are of value to Councils and to the LGA and work to maintain a positive reputation for the LGA with local authorities, central government, partners and stakeholders.
- Support the Principal Adviser in maintaining a culture of continuous improvement across the children’s services sector.
- Commission resources to supplement the LGA core resources in terms of capacity and expert knowledge.
- Work closely with LGA Programme Managers responsible for Policy and Peer Review/Diagnostic delivery and act as a broker between LGA and the Regions.
- Lead/work as part of a team, building a culture of flexible and collaborative team working to ensure that the LGA meets its business objectives and responds effectively to new or changing requirements.
- To maintain a systematic overview of the performance and challenges for individual councils within the region.
- Model the LGA’s values and work in accordance with health and safety, equal opportunities and environmental policies.
- Undertake any other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post.
- Manage and maintain relationships with individual local authorities, and or groupings of authorities across a region or sub region at the level of leading members, chief executives and senior officers (eg Directors of Children’s Services, Assistant Directors and nominated leads for improvement) to help them develop sector led improvement and access national support.
- Directed by the Principal Adviser, assist in the identification of councils at risk, using an evidence-based approach and engaging with councils and groups of councils, government,the political groups and other sector improvement bodies as appropriate
- Support the provision of direct peer support to councils
- Contribute to the development of the LGA’s approach to peer challenge and peer review, and to ensuring that a consistent and streamlined framework and methodology is in place and kept up-to-date. This will include the opportunity to be involved in peer review teams.
- Work collaboratively with LGA politicians and officers to maintain up-to-date knowledge about local government performance and contribute to LGA positioning and practice.
- Provide high quality scoping and diagnostic work and examples of other good practice to develop appropriate solutions and interventions for individual organisations or groups of organisations.
- Provide post peer review support to Council’s to implement recommendations and develop areas for consideration that have been identified.
- Within a consistent framework of support, and as directed by the Principal Adviser, participate in the commissioning and co-ordination of improvement activity and interventions from peers, consultants and where appropriate LGA employees, to meet the support needs of councils. Following agreed procurement processes and within budget allocations.
- Ensure that a high quality of service is delivered; understand and recognise the highly challenging politically sensitive and high-profile environment in order to manage complexities and risk.
- Develop and maintain relationships across local government and central government, elected members, regulatory bodies, professional societies, voluntary and private sector business and partner organisations to ensure influence of sector improvement and promote the LGA’s contribution at a national and regional level.
- Ensure that key findings, learning and impact are widely understood and integrated across the LGA in order that the LGA’s services are closely aligned to the experiences and priorities of the sector.
- Participate in national and sub-national events to improve knowledge of developments within local government and the products and services of the LGA.
Elected members of all parties including Leaders and Portfolio holders
Senior Officers (Chief Executives and Directors of Children’s Services)
Sector experts/professional bodies
National, regional and sub-regional organisations and groupings of councils
Regional Sector Led Improvement Programme Managers for Children’s Services
Members and Officers; Political Group OfficesCorporate Management Team; Principal Advisors; Financial Support Advisors; Adult Improvement Advisors
Other: Regulatory Bodies (Ofsted and Department for Education); Private and voluntary sector partners; ADCS; SOLACE; Regional Improvement Allianances and other regional networks; Other appropriate regional and loical organisations
Person Specification: Children’s Improvement Adviser
Knowledge and experience
Skills and abilities