We work with councils and their partners to help create a workforce able to respond to major changes within the public sector.
We have the very latest information and advice for managing the local government workforce in relation to COVID-19.
We will update these pages regularly and also provide information via the Workforce Team twitter account on @LGAWorkforce.
- Local government workforce summary data – March 2021
- April 2021 blog: Supporting your public health heroes - UK Public Health Register CEO Marcial Boo explores how employers can take a more active role in supporting the development of their own practitioner workforce.
- Workforce planning support offer 2021 – As part of the MHCLG improvement grant the LGA is providing up to 25 councils with targeted support on Strategic Workforce Planning in 2021.
- Developing hybrid working in local government – An overview of some of the key considerations of developing a hybrid working organisation and information about a series of round table events to help us to develop a hybrid working model for local government to use.
- Annual employment law virtual conference – Thursday 22 April 2021, 9.45am to 12.30pm.
- Local government exit pay – The legislation implementing the £95k cap on exit payments came into force on 4 November 2020. However, on 12 February 2021 HM Treasury published a Treasury Direction disapplying the cap with immediate effect, along with guidance on how exit payments which were capped during the period when it was in force should now be handled. The Welsh Government has confirmed that, in their view, the exit cap no longer applies to payments made by devolved Welsh authorities. MHCLG has also now confirmed in writing that there will be no changes to local government pensions or redundancy terms until there has been a further, separate consultation exercise.
A checklist for recruiting overseas teachers under the new immigration system from 1 January 2021 As we transition towards leaving the European Union on 31 December 2020 schools workforce colleagues may find this information helpful.
The LGA's guidance on the Job Retention Scheme is updated regularly
- LGA COVID-19 workforce survey summary reports are collated here. Councils can access their own and comparative data in LG Inform.
The Modification order
The primary significance of the Order is in relation to redundancy.
Responding to the COVID-19 recovery: building organisational development capacity in local government
The LGA and North West Employers are working together to support council’s OD professionals in the wake of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Timewise Councils Initiative
Supporting organisations to drive cultural change and best practice on flexible working, as a way to retain and attract the best talent, and maximise their performance.